There are many reasons why your Vizio TV would lose picture display. But luckily, most of them would cost next to nothing to fix.
You could factory reset your TV to help clear out any issues that may affect the display. This works with most Vizio Smart TVs and should help you get your TV back on.
How to Reset a Vizio TV with No Picture
Resetting your Vizio TV will revert its settings to the time it was brand new. This will clear all your account details on any smart apps, update firmware, and reset network data.
- Go to the menu page using your TV remote.
- On the menu area, click System, then select OK.
- Move to Reset & Admin and then tap OK.
- Tap Reset TV to Factory Defaults and click OK.
- You may be required to enter your parental lock code (If you didn’t set any parental lock code, then you can enter the default code 0000).
- The TV will turn off and wipe all its settings.
- When it comes up all the files from its cache will be restored.
- Plug your router back in and set up the TV to reconnect your Wi-Fi.
Before resetting your Vizio Smart TV, you should try the following troubleshooting solutions first:
Perform a Soft Reset
A soft reset simply means switching your TV off and on to help reset the display. To do this:
- Unplug the TV’s power cord from the power source
- Leave it unplugged for about 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back in and turn on your Vizio TV.
- You can also use the following ways to perform a soft reset
- Press the menu button on the TV to access the Soft Power Cycle
- When the menu area comes up click on System
- Move to Reset & Admin and tap on Soft Power Cycle
Check the Connecting Cord
A loosely connected cord would cause a display issue. Check if the cord is securely connected to your video device.
Try Another Device
Sometimes a display issue might be due to app issues or issues with the device connected to your TV rather than the TV itself.
If you have your TV connected to your cable box, try connecting it to your Blu-ray player. If the same problem persists after changing devices, then it could be your TV and you can try other methods.
Check Your TV picture settings
Sometimes your TV picture settings could lead to a dark screen. To correct this:
- Press your Menu button on your Vizio TV remote and then tap Picture
- Click on Picture Mode
- Switch between picture settings to see if the problem is corrected
Your remote may have a PIC button on it to enable you to change the picture settings directly.
If you notice that none of these solutions solved the problem, then you might be having a board issue. To know the exact problem, you would have to perform two tests.
Perform a Sound Test
- Switch on your TV.
- Try to stream any content that would make noise.
- Turn up the volume of your Vizio TV and listen for sound.
Try the Flashlight Test
If you can hear some sounds without a corresponding image, then it’s likely the component that produces lighting for the TV has gone bad.
- To confirm this, you need to shine a bright flashlight on the TV.
- Stand two inches away and point the flashlight at the TV.
- If you can see images on the screen, then the inverter board is likely the issue and would need to be fixed or replaced.