There could be a bunch of reasons why your Insignia TV produces no sounds when connected via HDMI. There are several ways to fix the problem; and luckily, you won’t have to get a new TV since one of these solutions would work.
No Sound on Insignia TV with HDMI: Some Fixes To Try
All you have to do is check a few cable connections and ensure that everything is in the right order and you’re good to go. These solutions would work if you’re connecting your computer to a monitor or Insignia TV. Whether you’re using a Windows or Mac, it should help you to get things fixed.
Check the Hardware
The first fix is the most obvious but for some people, it may not be that obvious. Your TV might not have any sounds just because the HDMI cable is bad. A bad HDMI cable may not necessarily mean one that is bent or showing visible signs of damage, it could simply mean a cable already rusting on the metal part.
You should also check the HDMI port in your TV if it is in perfect condition. You can also switch HDMI cables just to ensure that the problem isn’t coming from your end.
Another fix is to the switch ports. Your TV probably has two or more HDMI ports, so you should try every one of them. Not only on your TV; try different ports on the other device.
The final hardware check is simply taking your TV remote and pressing unmute. If that isn’t the problem, then you should reconfigure your sound settings. Do the same on the device transmitting the audio and video.
Set HDMI Devices to Default
If you have your HDMI cable connected to your TV and laptop, then you need to set it as your default device to get sounds from the HDMI output. It is very simple.
- Right-click the sound volume icon at the bottom right of your computer’s Windows screen.
- A content menu will pop-up.
- Tap the Playback tab, click Digital Output Devices or HDMI.
- Tap Set Default and then select OK.
- With that the HDMI sound output is now your default sound device.
If you don’t find the Digital Output Device or HDMI in your windows Playback tab,
- Right-click on a blank place.
- Tick Show disabled devices and Show disconnected devices in the menu that pops up.
- And then set HDMI as your default.
Update the Sound Driver
A possible reason for the loss of audio could be due to sound driver issues. If this is the problem, the solution could be very easy. All you have to do is update the sound driver and you’re good to go.
There are two ways to update your sound drivers – manual and automatic.
- Manual Driver Update – To update your computer’s sound drivers manually, go to the manufacturer’s website and search for the most recent updated sound driver. Check the compatibility requirements to know if they would work with your computer. If it does, then you can download and install it on your computer.
- Automatic Driver Update – Manually updating your sound driver would take some time that you might not have. Also, you have to ensure that you install only the driver with the right specs so that things work perfectly. Updating your sound automatically is best if you don’t have the computer skills or knowledge about drivers.
You can do so with software like Driver Easy. This will automatically recognize your system’s model and requirements, and then it will search for the correct driver for the sound card compatible with your computer. From there, you can download and install them.